Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Adapted from The Comfort of Cooking's recipe
1-2 tbsp butter (optional-package deal with onion)
1/2 medium chopped yellow onion (optional)
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
2-2.5 c half and half (healthier version: 1.5 c milk, 1 c half and half)
3-4 cups chicken stock
1/2-1 lb. broccoli florets
1 c matchstick carrots, chopped (personally I would leave them out)
cracked black peppercorn
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1-1.5 c grated cheddar cheese
1) With the first set of butter, sauté the onions on medium-high heat until lightly brown.
2) Add next set of butter and flour and whisk for a couple minutes (creates a roux).
3) Stir in the liquid ingredients and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4) Chop up the florets and carrots (I suggest leaving out the carrots) relatively fine. Add to the pot along with the nutmeg and pepper.
5) Turn up to low for 25-30 mins.
6) Turn off the heat and use a hand blender to get rid of the chunks.